As promised, the first update for Icaros Desktop 1.2 has been released. This update CD includes the most updated system files (up to march 6, 2010 nightly build) and some interesting new features like (still work in progress) 3D hardware acceleration on GeForce 5, 6 and 7 cards (both AGP and PCI Express versions supported), changeable pointers, .backdrop file support for placing icons on the desktop and many, many others. Please notice that this release won't include new 3rd party software (with the only exception of YAM and some games to test hardware 3D), but will only bring the current ones to their latest versions. So you will enjoy OWB 1.0 RC2, SabreMSN 0.67 and the latest beta of WookieChat. Developers will also find the latest version of AROS development files. This release should fix also some annoying bugs like the Theme prefs wrongly handled on 1.2, while system stability and hardware compatibility has noticeably improved.
What's new since version 1.2
- updated system files
- .backdrop support
- user-customizable pointer (both busy and normal images)
- improved 68K apps integration with Janus-UAE 0.6
- added 3D hardware support for GeForce 5, 6 and 7 cards
- updated OWB to version 1.0 rc2
- updated WookieChat to latest beta
- updated SabreMSN to v0.67
- fixed theme prefs handling
- added YAM 2.6
- added support for HDAudio chipsets
- added support for Envy24T audio boards
- better network support on iMica and compatible systems
- many bugs fixed, improved stability
To install this update, you should download the .tgz package from the Icaros Download Center, open it with ZuneARC (or any other compatible unpacker on other platforms) and extract the ISO file inside. Then you can either copy the ISO file somewhere on your AROS partition or burn it to a CD-RW. You will be able to update the system using the LiveUpdater utility included in your Icaros Desktop installation (look inside sys:Tools/LUPD or in the My Software > System menu of AmiStart).
In order to install Icaros Desktop 1.2.1, you will need Icaros Desktop 1.2 already installed on your system.