Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Jun 23, 2008

Tip of the day: installing VmwAROS on a Nforce 630a motherboard

Problems emerge only after releasing. This is a life rule in computing and VmwAROS is no exception. After testing successfully my distribution on different machines, I decided it was time to update one of my machines based on a Nforce 630a chipset motherboard. Surprisingly, VmwAROS 0.8 couldn't see my old AROS partitions, even if a dual partitioned hard drive was seen by HDToolBox connected to the ATA device. So I entered the BIOS of my Abit AN-M2HD motherboard and disabled the SATA controller. Well, at the next boot I could update my AROS installation again.

It was not enough. After installing successfully VmwAROS, I noticed I could use the emergency mode kernel only (well, at least now I am sure it is really useful), so I modified the menu.lst file as explained on the "quick and dirty user/reviewer guide" included in the /Docs directory to cut any unuseful entry and clean my early boot menu to the minimum indispensable. But I dind't want to disable my SATA controller at all, and at the next reboot I entered the BIOS again.

Here I found a SATA controller mode option, and I notice it was set to "IDE" by default. I changed it into AHCI, wondering that this option may create some conflicts with AROS ata.device... and I was right: at the next reboot, I had still to use the emergency kernel, but my discs and partition were detected correctly.

In the end: if you can't access your ATA device, enter the BIOS and set the SATA controller to run as "AHCI" instead of "IDE", and if it's not enough, just disable it.

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot