Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Oct 24, 2018

vic, a new command

This is just another little, but funny detail I have decided to add to your AROS distribution. You may have noticed that, since the birth of Icaros Desktop 2.2.x, I have stopped updating the image shown by the 'About' applet, which always says "Icaros Desktop v2.2" no matter if it was 2.2.0, 2.2.1 or a more recent one. A way to identify the installed version of Icaros Desktop, however, exists: you should just look into env: or envarc: for a file called CURRENT_INSTALL and it's coded this way:

version N.R.U ---> N.00R00U

so, for instance, v2.2.4 becomes 2.002004. I used this trick to allow LiveUpdater identify the installed version and decide wether the update pack you've just downloaded is applicable or not. Since it is not really readable by humans, I decided that a little script would be handful. And I created 'vic', which stands for Version of ICaros destkop. During its develoment (which lasted a few minutes...) I succeeded in changing its name two or three times (idv, icv, idv...), but it finally turned to 'vic' due to my most ancient feelings about Commodore. After all, could I name it differently?


Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot